2016. My Music, My War: The Listening Habits of U.S. Troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Wesleyan University Press.
2015 (co-edited with Michael Dylan Foster. UNESCO on the Ground: Local Perspectives on Intangible Cultural Heritage. Indiana University Press.
2015 (co-edited with Michael Dylan Foster. “UNESCO on the Ground: Local Perspectives on Global Policy for Intangible Cultural Heritage. Special Issue of the Journal of Folklore Research 52(2-3).
2015. Demonic or Cultural Treasure: Local Perspectives on Vimbuza, Intangible Cultural Heritage, and UNESCO in Malawi. Journal of Folklore Research 52 (2-3): 199-216.
2013. 抗争”之辨：多重能动性、性别和马拉维(Resisting Resistance: Multiple Agencies, Gender, and Politics in Malawi), trans. 李生柱、彭瑞红（Li Shengzhu and Peng Ruihong）民俗研究 (Journal: Folklore Studies. (期 2): 第-页 (12-25)
2013. Troupes Hors-Sol: Music, Espace, Mémoire dans la Guerre en Irak (Grounding the Troops: Music, Place, and Memory in the Iraq War). Écoute: Discour, Pratiques, Médiation (Volume !: The Journal of Popular Music Studies). 10 (1): 171-88.
2012. Oppositional Positioning: The Military Identification of Young Anti-War Veterans. In Warrior Ways: Explorations in Modern Military Folklore, eds. Tad Tuleja and Eric Eliason. Utah State University Press.
2010 An American Soldier’s Ipod: Layers of Identity and Situated Listening in Iraq. Music and Politics 4 (2).
2009 The Dance of Politics: Performance, Gender, and Democratization in Malawi. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
Ph.D. Indiana University, Bloomington, 2001.
As a folklorist, I examine the intersections between creative expressions and social, political, and economic dynamics. I am especially interested in relationships between performance genres, usually dance and music, and issues of power related to gender, class, cultural identity, and politics.
- American Folklore Society, Member of Executive Board
- Society for Ethnomusicology
- International Council for Traditional Music
- Congress on Research in Dance
- African Studies Association
- National Women’s Studies Association
- Folklore and Ethnomusicology fieldwork methods handbook
- Edited volume called Everyday Life on the African Continet
- The politics of intangible cultural heritage in Malawi.
- The musical listening practices of American troops fighting in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Anti-war activism of contemporary American war veterans.
- Gender, dance and other performance genres, and gender in Malawi
- Intangible Cultural Heritage
- African Studies
- Music, Dance and War
- Personal Narratives
- Performance and Power