Outsider Art: Visionary Worlds and Trauma. University Press of Mississippi (2016).
The End of the World As We Know It: Faith, Fatalism, and Apocalypse in America. New York University Press (1997).
Punk and Neo-Tribal Body Art. University Press of Mississippi (1995).
"Art and Trauma." Raw Vision: International Journal of Intuitive and Visionary Art, Outsider Art, Art Brut, Contemporary Folk Art, Marginal Arts, no. 91 (Fall 2016): 48-55. Click here to read article: https://blogs.uoregon.edu/folklore/files/2017/01/RV.Fall2016-1h9a845.pdf
"John Coltrane Church (Saint John Will-I-Am Coltrane African Orthodox Church)" (co-author Peter Jan Margry). World Religions & Spirituality Project, 2016. Link: http://wrldrels.org/profiles/Coltrane.htm.
"Avertive Apocalypticism." In the Oxford Handbook of Millennialism, ed. Catherine Wessinger, pp. 66-88. Oxford University Press, 2011. (Click here to read article)
"Spirits, Apparitions, and Traditions of Supernatural Photography."Visual Resources: An International Journal of Documentation 25, no. 1-2 (March-June 2009): 109-136. Special Issue, Visualizing the Invisible: Visionary Technologies in Religious and Cultural Contexts. (Click here to read article)
"Pre's Rock: Pilgrimage, Ritual, and Runners' Traditions at the Roadside Shrine for Steve Prefontaine." In Shrines and Pilgrimage in Contemporary Society: New Itineraries into the Sacred, ed. Peter Jan Margry. University of Amsterdam Press (2008). (Click here to read article) (Click here for photos of Pre’s Rock)
"Outsider Art, Vernacular Traditions, Trauma, and Creativity." Western Folklore, no. 2 & 3 (Winter 2008): 179-198.
"Apocalyptic and Millenarian Aspects of American UFOism." In UFO Religions, ed. Christopher Partridge, pp. 274-300. Routledge (2003).
"Polaroids from Heaven: Photography, Folk Religion, and the Miraculous Image Tradition at a Marian Apparition Site,” Journal of American Folklore 109 (1996): 129-48.
Ph.D. University of California, Los Angeles, 1992
My interests include contemporary folklore studies, urban ethnology, and cultural theory; apocalyptic beliefs and millenarian movements; visionary cultures; alternative spiritualities; subcultural movements; popular eschatology; and vernacular artistic expression.
- American Academy of Religion
- American Folklore Society
- American Studies Association
- Communal Studies Association
- Société Internationale d’Ethnologie et de Folklore (SIEF)
- Western States Folklore Society
- Apocalypse Now and Then: The End of the World in American Culture and Consciousness
- Folk Art, Visionary Art, and Material Culture
- Folklore and Popular Culture
- Folklore and Religion
- History and Theory of Folklore Research
- Introduction to Folklore
- Apocalyptic Beliefs, Millenarianism, and Popular Eschatology
- Visionary and "Outsider Art"
- Contemporary Folklore Studies, Cultural Theory, and Urban Ethnology
- Pilgrimage and Spiritual Tourism
- Alternative Religion and Healing Traditions
- Visionary and Apparitional Cultures
- Vernacular Artistic Expression
- Subculture Studies