To apply for graduate study in the English Department, you must first complete the university’s Graduate Admission Application, which can be found online at https://gradweb.uoregon.edu/online_app/application/guidelines1.asp. Once you have completed that application, you will be connected with the English Department’s online application. The department’s application requires:
- A statement of purpose of no more than 500 words, uploaded electronically. The statement should clarify the applicant’s qualifications for and likely interests in graduate study.
- An academic writing sample that demonstrates the applicant’s ability in literary, cultural, or film studies, or in folklore, 5000 words at most, uploaded electronically.
- Letters of recommendation from three people familiar with the applicant’s academic background and intellectual abilities; applicants provide their names and email addresses. Referees will be contacted automatically with requests to provide recommendations. (There is a one-week grace period after the application deadline for receipt of letters of recommendation, transcripts, and GRE scores.)
- Official copies of undergraduate and, if appropriate, graduate transcripts uploaded electronically. (The university’s Admissions Office [1217 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1217] requires hard copies of official transcripts.)
- Official GRE Verbal scores; (for PhD applicants, Subject test scores are recommended but not required), to be uploaded electronically; official paper copy also required (UO code 4846, department code 2501; English Department, 1286 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1286.)
- For nonnative speakers: a minimum score of 600 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), a minimum score of 100 on the IBT (Internet-based TOEFL), or a minimum score of 7.0 on the IELTS.
Please note: Items 4, 5 and 6 must be uploaded during the same session; partial uploads will not be saved. The completed file is reviewed by the Department’s Graduate Committee, which notifies the applicant of its decision. The application deadline for PhD admission for Fall 2014 is December 15, 2013; the application deadline for MA admission is January 15, 2014. Candidates are admitted to start in fall term only.
Admission to the MA and PhD programs is highly competitive. Minimum requirements for all applicants include:
- An undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.50 or, if the student has 3 or more graduate seminars in English, a graduate GPA of 3.50 or better.
- A score of 153 or better on the verbal section of the general test of the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE). (Please note: students accepted to our programs usually have GRE verbal scores of 160 or better.)
- For nonnative speakers: a minimum score of 600 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), a minimum score of 100 on the IBT, or a minimum score of 7.0 on the IELTS.
The University of Oregon affirms and actively promotes the right of all individuals to equal opportunity in education and employment at this institution without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other extraneous consideration not directly and substantively related to effective performance. This policy implements all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and executive orders. Direct related inquiries to the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, 474 Oregon Hall, University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403; telephone (541) 346-3123, TTY (541) 346-0852.