Declaring the Certificate does NOT show up on your Degree Audit. Please use this worksheet to track your progress manually.
WSCR Course List
Not all of the courses listed below are offered every academic year.
View current list above titled WSCR Course List.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CERTIFICATE:
1) 36 credits, distributed as follows:
- Three courses in Writing (at least one must be at the 400-level):
WR 123 College Composition III
WR 320 Scientific and Technical Writing
WR 321 Business Communication
WR 423 Advanced Composition
ENG 420 The Art of the Sentence
ENG 413 Theories of Literacy
- Three courses in Rhetoric (at least one of which must be ENG 200 or 330):
ENG 200 Public Speaking
ENG 330 Oral Controversy and Advocacy
ENG 491 Rhetoric and Ethics
ENG 492 History of Rhetoric and Composition
ENG 493 Modern Rhetorical Criticism
- Two courses in Reasoning from this list:
PHIL 103 Critical Reasoning
PHIL 325 Logic, Inquiry, and Argument (prerequisite: one course in Philosophy)
ENG 335 Inventing Arguments
- One capstone course (ENG 491 may serve as capstone in years when 494 is not taught):
ENG 494 Reasoning, Speaking, Writing
- Optional (may be used to supplement credits in any of the above categories):
WR 198 Independent Study (by prior approval of the Director; variable credit)
ENG 404 Community Literacy Internship (by prior approval of the Director; one credit)
2) To count in the Certificate, all classes must be taken for a grade of mid-C or better with the exception of ENG 404 Community Literacy Internship, which can be taken with a P.
3) Only two courses taken for the Certificate may be used to fulfill any other minor or major. WR 123 may be used for the Certificate and to complete the University Writing Requirement.
4) All upper-division coursework for the Certificate must be taken in residency at the University of Oregon.
Direct inquiries to the English Department office, (541) 346-3911 or the Center for Teaching Writing, (541)346-3922.