ΣΤΔ – Sigma Tau Delta
Sigma Tau Delta, International English Honors Society, Alpha Tau Phi Chapter
The Alpha Tau Phi Chapter was officially chartered March 13, 2013. Our desire to establish a distinguished community of English scholars to meet and collaborate both intellectually and socially, motivated us to bring Sigma Tau Delta to the University of Oregon. Sigma Tau Delta. is the International English Honor Society, an organization that confers distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies. Sigma Tau Delta also recognizes the accomplishments of professional writers who have contributed to the fields of language and literature. A member of the Association of College Honor Societies, Sigma Tau Delta began in 1924 at Dakota Wesleyan University. There are over 800 active chapters located in the United States, the Caribbean, Europe, and the Middle East.
- Academic Recognition
- Writing Awards
- Publication Opportunities
- Student Leadership and Community Service Opportunities
- Annual Convention March 18-22, 2015 Convention in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Life time Affiliation and Fellowship
- Chapter At-A-Glance
Who’s eligible to apply?
- Sophomores*, juniors, and seniors with declared majors or minors in English, Comic Studies, Writing, Public Speaking, and Critical Reasoning at the University of Oregon (*must have completed at least three semesters or five quarters of college course work)
- Candidates must have completed a minimum of four classes in English by the Spring term of the application year (the college writing requirement does not count)
- Applicants should have an overall GPA of 3.25 and a Major GPA of 3.5
- Graduate students and Faculty members are also invited to apply
- Applicants with demonstrable financial need may be eligible to have dues and fees waived
Take advantage of this opportunity to share your love of literary studies with like-minded peers, participate in rewarding activities, and be recognized for your accomplishments.
Applicants with demonstrable financial need may be eligible to have dues and fees waived. The Olwen William Harris Endowment Fund has been established to help students who cannot afford to pay initiation fees. To receive money from this fund, students must complete a request form, available from the Office of the Dean of Students. An advisory committee reviews all requests and dispenses the awards.
2015 APPLICATION CYCLE
Applications for the 2015 cycle are due no later than Friday, March 13,2015 at 4:00 p.m. Chapter Membership Application and one time Enrollment fee of $40.00 must be submitted directly to the English Department Office, 118 PLC, by the deadline or they will not be considered.
Visit our website: http://uosigmataudelta.weebly.com/
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/UOSigmaTauDelta
Join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/uosigmataudelta/
Our Blog: https://uosigmataudelta.wordpress.com/